Posts tagged Richard Neutra
The experimental home where the Neutra family lived in Silver Lake, known as the Van der Leeuw Research House (VDL) in honor of Neutra’s patron, the young Dutch industrialist, Kees van der Leeuw. In the early 1930s, this home was the workshop for such distinguished architects as Gregory Ain, H.H. Harris, and Raphael Soriano all of whom served their architectural apprenticeship under the watchful eye of Richard Neutra.The original house, built in the pure International Style, was partially destroyed by fire in 1963, The present structure was rebuilt by Richard’s son, Dion Neutra on the original footprint. The house was willed by Dionne Niedermann Neutra, to the College of Environmental Design, California State Polytechnic University at Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona), which is charged with its restoration and maintenance, as well as a research center.The VDL Research House is located at 2300 Silver Lake Blvd. in Silver Lake. It was declared an Historic-Cultural Monument in the City of Los Angeles in 1997. (No. 640). To arrange a tour of the Center, call the University at (909) 869-2667.
The McIntosh House is located at 1317 Maltman Avenue in Silver Lake. It was built at a cost of $3,800. It is the home of Neutra expert-architect John Bertram, principal of Bertram Architects and his wife, actress-writer Ann Magnuson.
The home is currently owned by Emile Jacobsen, daughter of the Ziskinds, who is in the process of restoring the home. We met at an event sponsored by the Neutra Institute for the Survival through Design, where she invited me to photograph her home. The picture shown is of the central courtyard with statues by Noel Oliver Osheroff and George Meldrum (a disciple of Henry Moore).
The Edwin Loeb Estate is located at 1830 N. Dillon Street.
The Flavin House was featured in the 2005 Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy Annual Conference Tour of Homes and will be featured in the Committee to Save Silver Lake’s Reservoirs’ 2006 Home Tour entitled ‘Silver Lake Modernism- Then & Now’ scheduled for September 30, 2006