Posts tagged Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument
Gregory Ain studied architecture at the University of Southern California during the years 1927-28. While the fashion of architectural training of the day was for the ‘beaux arts’, the movement towards modernism was beginning to make its impact at all levels of life, including architecture. These revolutions in our understanding of any human endeavor often have their beginnings on the campuses of the world’s universities. As a youth, Gregory Ain was acquainted with Rudolf Schindler’s Kings Road house, and this ‘new style’ of architecture definitely had an impact upon him.After graduation, Gregory Ain went to work in the office of Richard Neutra in Silver Lake, already established as one of the ‘young lions’ of the emerging modernist movement. Early in his career, Gregory Ain developed an interest In group housing for low and middle income families. In 1937, he began the development of Dunsmuir Flats, which became his signature work, and which through the photography of the great Julius Shulman, established his reputation.
In 1940 Ain received a Guggenheim Fellowship for the development of low-cost housing. One of the most successful schemes was the Avenal Housing Project in Silver Lake, twenty attractive hillside units with private patios and living rooms with views, built for the members of a musician’s union whos members worked in the film industry.
Tierman House, located at 2323 Micheltorena Street in the Moreno Highlands was designated in 1974 by the City of Los Angeles as a Historic Cultural Monument (No. 124) and noted for its ‘architectural simplicity and elegance achieved through relationship between building and site.’
Other Gregory Ain homes in Silver Lake are Daniels House, 1856 Micheltorena Street and Orans House, 2404 Micheltorena Street. There is also an office building located at 2311 Hyperion Avenue in Silver Lake which was once the office of Gregory Ain and James Garrott, one of the few African-American architects in practice at the time.
Declared a historic/cultural landmark in 1981, the bridge is noted for its Romanesque arches. It is also one of the most troubling areas of Silver Lake in that it has become a symbol of the homelessness problem that exists within Silver Lake.The Sunset Boulevard Bridge is located where Silver Lake Boulevard intersects with Sunset Boulevard. It was declared a Los Angeles Cutural-Heritage Monument in 1981 (No. 236).
Los Angeles Times – July 30, 1904
“The plans for the reconstruction of the Sunset Boulevard bridge, as drawn by the City Engineer, were yesterday adopted by the Board of Public Works. The bridge will be built across Lake Shore avenue [now Glendale Bvld.] and is necessitated by the difference in grade between Sunset Boulevard and Lake Shore avenue. The tracks of the Glendale electric line run on Lake Shore avenue and those of the Los Angeles-Pacific occupy a portion of the roadbed of Sunset boulevard. The present bridge is so low that the tracks of the Glendale line had to be laid below grade in order to allow the cars of the system to pass under the bridge. In order to overcome this difficulty the grade of Sunset boulevard is to be raised five feet and the new bridge built. The new bridge will be eighty feet in length whereas the present sturcture is but fifty feet long. The City Engineer estimates that the cost of building will be about $ 17,200 and the railway companies $7850”.
Another view of the Romesque arches and details of one of our historic monuments, Los Angeles City Historic/Cultural Monument Number 236, declared on April 9, 1981.
The Cathedral is located at 650 Micheltorena Street.
Adams and his wife purchased the house in 1942. It was a small bungalow with a hipped roof, built around 1906. Over time, Adams altered the house significantly, hiring in succession, four different architects, as his vision for the house expanded.
instructors at the Art Center School of Design, Architects John Rex and Douglas Honnold, were brought in to add a garage, chimney and barbeque, and and a concrete and stone deck in 1955. (Honnold and Rex formed a partnership in 1953 that was to last until Honnold’s death in 1974. Honnold is best-known for his ‘Pans Restaurant’ designs, one of the first to popularize ‘Googie’ style).
In 1966 A. Albert Cooling, who was also an instructor at the school, completely re-invented the house into the style we see today. Cooling died before the final phase of the house was conceived; Adams turned to Taliesen Fellow James DeLong to complete the project.
The Edward Albert Adams House is located at 2331 Cove Avenue.