From the heights of success to the depths of despair, radio personality Paul Meyers hit bottom. In his desperaton, he asked Jesus Christ for help and at that moment was the beginning of the Haven of Rest Ministries. With his experience, he created a radio program with a quartet, speaker, pipe organ, vibra harp and some poetry. The Haven of Rest Ministry started at Radio Station KFI in Los Angeles, but with growing popularity, moved into its own quarters in Silver Lake, a ship-like studio complete with portholes, decks and an American flag, very much in keeping with the California Streamline/Modernist structures that were the rage of the day. These nautical symbols were a practical reminder of the mission of the ministry, that ‘Jesus offers a safe haven!’Today, the Haven is gone (to Riverside, CA), but the ‘Good Ship Grace’ remains, its structure completely intact, the grass neatly trimmed as in its heydey, a nostalgic reminder of a simpler time. Declared a Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument No.897 in 2007.‘The Good Ship Grace’ is located at 2432 Hyperion Avenue in Silver Lake. As of April 2007, the property was being offered for sale (along with three additional parcels for a whopping $6M!)
- Luis López for California State Assembly 51st District
- 1850 Lucile Avenue, Gustavo Gubel 2017
- Johnson-Sineath House, Stephen Alan Siskind 1959
- Frank Alderman Garbutt & the Mansion on Hathaway Hill
- Cal State LA faculty member from Silver Lake collaborates with national team to prevent sexual harassment
- 9:30 am – 5:30 pm, November 17, 2017 – The Silver Lake Branch Library Big November Book Sale!!!
- 9:30 am – 4:30 pm, November 18, 2017 – The Silver Lake Branch Library Big November Book Sale!!!
"Who's Who" 1928 1938 1939 1940 1951 1957 1959 1960 1983 2006 Architect Architects Barbara Bestor Barton Choy Craftsman Dion Neutra Gregory Ain Gustavo Gubel Harwell Hamilton Harris Leonardo Chalupowicz Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument Mack Sennett Michael Locke Moreno Highlands Primrose Hill R.M. Schindler Raphael Soriano Richard Neutra Rudolph Schindler Silver Lake Silver Lake Architecture Silver Lake Chronicles: Exploring an Urban Oasis in Los Angeles Silver Lake History Silver Lake Modern Silver Lake Neighborhood Council Southern California Institute of Architecture Spanish Colonial Revival Stephen Alan Siskind Streamline Moderne The Silver Lake News Treasures of Los Angeles Architecture University of Southern California Who's Who in Silver Lake William Kesling