Adams and his wife purchased the house in 1942. It was a small bungalow with a hipped roof, built around 1906. Over time, Adams altered the house significantly, hiring in succession, four different architects, as his vision for the house expanded.
instructors at the Art Center School of Design, Architects John Rex and Douglas Honnold, were brought in to add a garage, chimney and barbeque, and and a concrete and stone deck in 1955. (Honnold and Rex formed a partnership in 1953 that was to last until Honnold’s death in 1974. Honnold is best-known for his ‘Pans Restaurant’ designs, one of the first to popularize ‘Googie’ style).
In 1966 A. Albert Cooling, who was also an instructor at the school, completely re-invented the house into the style we see today. Cooling died before the final phase of the house was conceived; Adams turned to Taliesen Fellow James DeLong to complete the project.
The Edward Albert Adams House is located at 2331 Cove Avenue.