Built on a steep hillside in Silver Lake’s architecturally-significant Silver Ridge Avenue, the multilevel Sharlin House represents a significant departure from the architect’s typical single story home. Projecting trellises, shown here, contribute handsomely to the building’s overall design.Gregory Ain designed the house for the Sharlin family. Rose Scharlin was the moving force behind the very first cooperative nursery school in the City of Los Angeles c.1939, and the model upon which local schools patterned themselves. Beginning as the Echo Park Cooperative Nursery School, using the facilities of the Echo Park Playground, a number of its members decided to start a similar school for the Silver Lake area and broke away from the original group, taking with them as the new school�s director Mrs. Rose Scharlin in 1946. The new school began as the Lakeview Cooperative Nursery School at the present school site, which was then an abandoned tennis court. Rose Scharlin fostered the concept of parents and children growing and learning together within the group. When Rose Scharlin died in 1948, the name of the school was changed in her memory. In 1955 it merged with the old Echo Park School to become one again.Located at 2363 Silver Ridge Avenue in the Silver Lake neighborhood of Los Angeles.
- Cal State LA faculty member from Silver Lake collaborates with national team to prevent sexual harassment
- US Modernist: Volunteers Needed in L.A.
- Ma Residence, Norman Millar 2016
- Volunteer Opportunity for Modernist Architecture Enthusiasts
- Old Mediterranean Mansion on Mayberry Street Back in the News
- 10:00 am – 12:30 pm, October 4, 2017 – November 4, 2017 – Silver Lake Library Presents – Introduction to Smart Phones and Assistive Technology
- 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm, October 17, 2017 – Silver Lake Library Presents – NaNoWriMo Kick Off
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm, October 21, 2017 – Los Angeles Metropolitan Opera presents musicologist Dr. Marcela Pan’s Lecture Series “Maria Callas: Life & Art”
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm, October 22, 2017 – The Gay Freedom Band of Los Angeles (GFBLA) performs its annual fall concert, "Intergalactic"
- 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm, November 3, 2017 – Silver Lake Library Presents – Residential Turf Removal Training
"Who's Who" 1928 1936 1938 1939 1940 1951 1957 1959 1960 1983 2006 Architect Architects Barbara Bestor Barton Choy Craftsman Dion Neutra Gregory Ain Gustavo Gubel Harwell Hamilton Harris John Sofio Leonardo Chalupowicz Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument Mack Sennett Michael Locke Moreno Highlands Primrose Hill R.M. Schindler Raphael Soriano Richard Neutra Roscoe Arbuckle Rudolph Schindler Silver Lake Silver Lake Chronicles: Exploring an Urban Oasis in Los Angeles Silver Lake History Silver Lake Neighborhood Council Southern California Institute of Architecture Spanish Colonial Revival Streamline Moderne The Silver Lake News Treasures of Los Angeles Architecture University of Southern California Who's Who in Silver Lake William Kesling