A centerpiece of the Neutra Colony of Homes, the Ohara House is a classic example of the work of Modernist Richard Neutra. Gracefully situated and composed with commanding views of the Lake, it is one of my personal favorites. It was recently purchased for $1,205,000.Dave Keitel, former Chairperson of the Committee to Save Silver Lake’s Reservoirs (CSSLR), recently pointed out to me that the CORRECT spelling of the name for this Neutra house is ‘Ohara’ rather than O’Hara. The ‘Ohara’ spelling is Japanese, rather than the Irish ‘O’Hara’. Some of the original owners of these Neutra homes were Japanese, who chose Silver Lake (and Echo Park) to live in the middle of the 20th Century and before because there were no race-based restrictive covenants in these neighborhoods. Thankfully, we can take pride in a long tradition of inclusiveness in our community!The Ohara House is located at in the Neutra Colony just above Silver Lake Blvd.
- Cal State LA faculty member from Silver Lake collaborates with national team to prevent sexual harassment
- US Modernist: Volunteers Needed in L.A.
- Ma Residence, Norman Millar 2016
- Volunteer Opportunity for Modernist Architecture Enthusiasts
- Old Mediterranean Mansion on Mayberry Street Back in the News
- 10:00 am – 12:30 pm, October 4, 2017 – November 4, 2017 – Silver Lake Library Presents – Introduction to Smart Phones and Assistive Technology
- 6:30 pm – 7:30 pm, October 17, 2017 – Silver Lake Library Presents – NaNoWriMo Kick Off
- 4:00 pm – 5:00 pm, October 21, 2017 – Los Angeles Metropolitan Opera presents musicologist Dr. Marcela Pan’s Lecture Series “Maria Callas: Life & Art”
- 2:00 pm – 4:00 pm, October 22, 2017 – The Gay Freedom Band of Los Angeles (GFBLA) performs its annual fall concert, "Intergalactic"
- 2:00 pm – 4:30 pm, November 3, 2017 – Silver Lake Library Presents – Residential Turf Removal Training
"Who's Who" 1928 1936 1938 1939 1940 1951 1957 1959 1960 1983 2006 Architect Architects Barbara Bestor Barton Choy Craftsman Dion Neutra Gregory Ain Gustavo Gubel Harwell Hamilton Harris John Sofio Leonardo Chalupowicz Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument Mack Sennett Michael Locke Moreno Highlands Primrose Hill R.M. Schindler Raphael Soriano Richard Neutra Roscoe Arbuckle Rudolph Schindler Silver Lake Silver Lake Chronicles: Exploring an Urban Oasis in Los Angeles Silver Lake History Silver Lake Neighborhood Council Southern California Institute of Architecture Spanish Colonial Revival Streamline Moderne The Silver Lake News Treasures of Los Angeles Architecture University of Southern California Who's Who in Silver Lake William Kesling