Edwin Loeb Estate, Sumner Spaulding Architect 1940 (with alterations by Richard Neutra (1948)
Although not as well known as Paul Williams, Sumner Spaulding’s work was influenced by and changed with the times. Born in Ionia, Michigan in 1892, he began his architectural studies at the University of Michigan in 1911, and completed them at MIT in 1916. He was actively engaged on many design and planning committees. He was one of the lead architects for the Los Angeles City Hall
. His other large scale public projects included the Catalina Island Casino
. His residential buildings include Greenacres
, the estate he designed for silent screen star Harold Lloyd Wright
in 1928, now a L.A. Historic Cultural Monument
. He was one of the first architects selected for the Case Study House Program
, building Case Study House #2 with John Rex. He taught at the University of Southern California School of Architecture and at Scripps College at Claremont, CA. Sumner Spaulding died in 1952.This mid-century masterpiece crowns the hill at the top of North Dillon Street, just across the street from Raphael Soriano’s famed Lipetz House
. The house is built around a central courtyard with windows facing the outward views of the city, lake and hillsides, and the inner windows facing the courtyard. The interiors are mesmerizing with elegant period furniture: soft leather sofas, teak and bamboo surfaces including custom cabinetry, indirect lighting and lovely antique rugs.Spaulding originally built the house for Edwin J. Loeb, founder of the law firm Loeb & Loeb. In 1946, the home was purchased by Esther and Eugene Ziskind. The Ziskinds were friends of the Neutra Family and could be seen frequently together strolling around the Silver Lake reservoir. In 1948, the Ziskinds persuaded Richard Neutra to undertake some improvements in the home. Some of the bedrooms were improved to make them more functional and to improve the vantage point afforded by the views.
The home is currently owned by Emile Jacobsen, daughter of the Ziskinds, who is in the process of restoring the home. We met at an event sponsored by the Neutra Institute for the Survival through Design, where she invited me to photograph her home. The picture shown is of the central courtyard with statues by Noel Oliver Osheroff and George Meldrum (a disciple of Henry Moore).
The Edwin Loeb Estate is located at 1830 N. Dillon Street.