A native of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in 1908, Gregory Ain became fascinated with architecture when, at a young age he was introduced to the work of R.M. Schindler’s King Road House. His training at the University of Southern California in architecture came at a critical time. While studying the Beaux Arts architecture in fashion at the time, the power ot the new International Architecture was being felt throughout the land and was revolutionizing the study of architecture. These influences lead him to the offices of Richard Neutra where he served a successful apprenticeship. His early work was focused on finding housing solutions for middle and low-income families. This necessitated the use of low cost materials and methods. He was one of the first great California architects to give dignity and refinement to low cost housing. The Daniels House, located at 1856 Micheltorena Street is an excellent example of his work.
The Daniels House as seen from the garden.
An interior view of the Daniels House showing the unusual configuration of the ceiling. The interiors are bright and airy and take advantage of the spectacular views.